This article explains how to use the built-in API integration configuration in Formstack to integrate forms with Zendesk. It is easy to configure Formstack to submit form submissions to Zendesk via email to create tickets however, the API integration will provide the ability to map form fields with Zendesk form fields, customize ticket description, and add tags to tickets.
- Open your Zendesk Support application and navigate to the Channel>API menu.
- Make sure the Token Access option is turned on.
- Add a new token using the Add API Token button.
- Copy the generated token and paste it into a temporary notepad or text editor (should be deleted once done with the configuration). The token will only be displayed once. It is also important to note that this token must not be shared or included in any email, documentation, or other communication methods as it provides access to your Zendesk instance.
- Open your Formstack portal and log in with an administrator account.
- Navigate to the form that you want to integrate with Zendesk and open the form settings.
- Select the Integrations menu item.
- The list of available integrations will be displayed. Scroll to the Zendesk option and click Add.
- The integration settings page will be displayed and you will be prompted to enter your Zendesk login credentials.
- Enter your Zendesk subdomain.
- Enter the Zendesk administrator account email in the Zendesk Email field and add "/token" after the email address. Example "email@example.com/token".
- Paste the token you generated in Zendesk in the Password field.
- You could use normal password authentication as well in which case you would not add the "/token" to the email and you would enter your administrator password. For this to work, you also need to make sure you have Password Access turned on in the Zendesk API settings. The token access however is advised as the password could change.
- The Ticket Information block will be displayed after you are successfully authenticated.
- You will now be able to map your Zendesk fields with fields in your Formstack form.
- Always make sure you have a Name and Email field that can be used to link the ticket to a requester in Zendesk.
- The comment field in Zendesk is required and you can either link it to an existing field in your Formstack form (select "Field >>"), or select the "Value>>" option to build a custom comment using text and placeholders.
- You have the ability to set tags that will be added to the ticket. Separate the tags with a space and ensure they are lowercase.
- It is advisable to add an Email On Failure email address so someone can receive notifications if the integration fails.
- Your integration should now be completed. A Zendesk ticket should be created when you submit the Formstack form.